Thursday, May 13, 2010

Graduation 2010

During my first year at Ivy Tech, my office partner, Gretchen Jordan, told me how she felt about the graduation ceremony. I had, of course, participated in two graduation ceremonies---once from my high school and one from Indiana State with my BS degree. I opted not to walk for my MS from Purdue, a decision I have regretted often. My oldest daughter led the procession with a perfect 4.0 when she received her degree from ISU, and both my youngest daughter and my son-in-law have their associate degrees from Ivy Tech, Lafayette region. My oldest daughter decided not to walk this spring when she received her Master's degree from Indiana Wesleyan.

I, like Gretchen, have come to love graduation. There is a feeling of the 'academic' during a graduation ceremony. I always feel such pride when I don my cap and gown, then add the stole with the white velvet for Liberal Arts under my chin and the Purdue black and gold down the back of my stole. When I look around at my colleagues, I see the professionals that we are, that we sometimes miss in the day-to-day activities on the campuses.

The other sense of pride comes from watching the graduates file in, sit in the rows in front of us as faculty, then walk across the stage after their names are announced, full of excitement, happiness, and accomplishment. This year, after four years with Ivy Tech, I heard many of my students' names called, and I felt a sense of accomplishment with them as they accepted their diplomas.

Tonight was a little different, though, than the other four years. This year the student speaker was one of mine. Tonya was selected as the recipient of the highest award given in our region, the Chancellor's Award. As a result, she was also the one to give the 'charge' to the graduates and to lead them in turning their tassels. I know that I am not the only professor she had in her long journey toward her degree; however, I am probably one of the few she had for two classes, and probably the only one she had ALL YEAR this, her final year of Ivy Tech. Last week at the Honors Program was the first time Tonya and I actually met face to face. However, I felt like I have known her for a long time--and I had, since she had been in both ENGL 222 and ENGL 223 this year. I am so proud of her. She has accomplished so much. She is an excellent student and one that will continue to grow and learn as she pursues another degree somewhere, maybe Chicago.

Congratulations to Tonya on her graduation tonight. Congratulations to Lori, who is still floating around from her graduation last week. Keep in touch with us here on the blogs or through email. What an accomplishment for both of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment